Friday, June 15, 2012
Myanmar - Hidden Treasure (Monpetok)
- 2 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
- Small pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 20, 5-inch square banana leaves OR foil squares.
- 1 small or 1 pound grated coconut
- 12 ounces palm sugar OR 8 ounces brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Mix flour with salt and water into stiff dough.
- Knead with 3/4 cups plus 1 cup water, cover, and set aside.
- Heat banana leaves to make pliable.
- Cut in 5-inch squares.
- If foil is used, prepare in 5-inch squares.
- Grate coconut. Heat sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons water.
- When melted, add coconut and stir over fire till water is well absorbed.
- Coat palm and fingers with oil.
- Take 2 teaspoons of dough and flatten on palm till 1/8 inch thin.
- Spoon coconut mixture on center and wrap as much mixture as can be covered securely.
- Take a banana leaf or foil square by 2 sides, holding it in a rough cone.
- Place pellet into cone formed.
- Fold down other sides of leaf, one side after the other, to form a flat top.
- Lay pellets in steamer with flat side down to hold fold in place.
- The shape should be a pyramid.
- Steam about 20 minutes.
- When glutinous rice is cooked through, unwrap and serve 3 to 4 small pyramids per person.